11 July, 2016

NYC: Aussie Brunch in New York City



Brunch seems to be super popular in New York City and there seems to be two styles of brunches; the healthy in vogue style for those with a busy and active lifestyle and the bottomless brunches for those who love a drink and an all day chat.

While living in New York, I want to make sure I get the true New York experience (meaning diners and huge pizza pies) but sometimes I just need a good Aussie style cup of coffee and a menu that features smashed avo and vegemite.

More and more Aussie's are establishing cafes in the city and generally for the same reasons, they'd come to New York on vacation and could not find a decent cup of coffee and saw an opportunity for business. So far it has proven successful because many of these cafes have a line out the door.

These Aussie inspired cafes are all in the trendy locations and filled with trendy people, which makes perfect for people watching and a spot of shopping after brunch.

Ruby's Cafe









Located on Mulberry Street, Soho and 3rd Avenue, Murray Hill

Ruby's serve up healthy salads, delicious pasta's, Aussie named burgers and all day brekkie. The coffee was just to my liking and I ordered the blueys burger which came with a side of truffle fries.

For a little busy spot we didn't have to wait too long and I love the Soho neighbourhood it is located in, with lots of eclectic shops around and a short walk to the main street of Little Italy.

Bluestone Lane Cafe


Located on Greenwich Ave, West Village, Carmine Street, West Village, 90th Street, Upper East Side and 43rd Street, Bryant Park

Bluestone Lane Cafe forever being mentioned in my blogs! This Aussie cafe is thriving all over the city. Pictured above is the collective cafe in the West Village, where we scoff down smashed avo on toast and a tasty coffee before taking a walk along the High Line.



Located on Orchard Street, Lower East Side

Dudleys, what a perfect name for a kitty cat and maybe that's why they have a cat as their logo. When I first visited New York on "vacation" I stayed on Orchard Street and I love to see that the street has now become such an up and coming spot, full of trendy shops and cafes. It took us two tries to get into Dudleys as the first attempt the wait was too long but it was worth our persistence. It is a cute little corner cafe and I can't stop thinking about the pineapple and mint juice I had. I also hear they serve up "fries" with chicken salt, so we may just have to go back!

Coco and Cru


Located on Broadway, Soho

Coco & Cru felt very Aussie from the cockatoo logo posted around everywhere, the vegemite jars on display and the anzac biscuit granola on the menu. The cafe has a very cute set up with the white picket fence around the outside and cute table settings to match, all with a lovely yellow melampodium flower on them. The food was great, I tried something a little different to what I would usually order and had the baked eggs but the coffee was still very american.

Two Hands


Located on Mott Street, Soho and Church St, Tribeca

Two Hands seems to be a really popular spot. We only had a short wait for a table but I went online to look at the menu while we waited as I was extra hungry this day and I had picked out what I wanted before we even got inside. The interior was decorated with crafty clouds and fairy lights and children's artwork. The coffee was on point, the sweet Jane juice was refreshing and the corn fritters were to die for.

Now get brunching!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment